Hammer

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Roulottes at Chateau Monfreville




My post about Chateau Monfreville is my most popular to date. I've asked Zoe McKinley to do a guest post on the story of those amazing roulottes she renovated. They are so much fun to stay in!


Zoe writes: I bought two Irish gypsy vans on a complete whim: spied them for a minute or two and thought they’re great! The next thing we know, we’ve hired a lowloader trailer. One at a time they were slowly dragged onto the trailer and driven down the motorway. It was quite surreal to see travellers with their horses and wagons parked up on the verges waving to us as we passed. Little did they know that glamping was our intention.

Well, they sat next to my veggie patch for a few months whilst the weather did its worst.



















I contemplated the not so very intact roulottes which were in a far worse condition on closer inspection. Contemplation took me off to Paris to forage the markets for fabrics, papers, stickers and inspiration. 


Not often does one get the chance to have a blank canvas and do whatever pleases you. Things you would never dream of doing in your own home. 






Spring brings sunshine and a determination to get the project under way. I’ve taken bookings which is so exciting. Where to start?! 




Stripping, filling, painting, wallpapering, scrubbing, stitching and on and on it went. Four months later the result was Miss Molly & Madam ZoZo.











My roulottes are a delight to me. They make me smile every time I see them. Lovely people holiday in them every summer, bringing happiness to all who live in them. The roulottes bring a little romance all of their own. Bizarrely, the majority of people who stay are average height woman, married to the tallest men I think I’ve ever met!!! Happy Days.

For more information about glamping at Chateau Monfreville, visit their website at www.chateaumonfreville.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your great feedback. I am new at it, but enjoying it so far. Stay tuned for more postings.

    ReplyDelete