Hammer

Monday 31 December 2012

Self Catering Check List







As we start looking at summer holiday destination listings, I confess I often look at the kitchen photos first. I love exploring new places or revisiting the same ones year after year. While most people like to spend lots of time relaxing all day by a pool or on the beach, I love to visit markets and plan menus. (Or, plan a dinner menu while I sit on the beach.) Strange, I know. But honestly, when you are visiting a lovely French market or stumble into an amazing fish market in Cape Cod, who can resist the urge to scoop up the freshest ingredients to make a dinner you would never be able to replicate at home. This is especially fun when I get to cook with my Food Stylist sister, +Abigail Wyckoff .

To that end, I have realised that I need to bring a bit of home with me on ever self-catering trip. Okay, maybe a bit more than a little bit. I actually have some very elaborate lists that get refined year-on-year, depending on my destination.  (A little tip, buy brightly coloured tools and they won't get mixed in with the items at most rental cottages.) Regardless of where I am, this is my most basic kitchen list:

  • Assorted covered knives by Kuhn Rikon (small serated, large kitchen)
  • vegetable peeler
  • collapsable collander
  • toast tongs
  • silicon spatula
  • Microplane zester (doubles for grating Parmesan cheese)
  • teaspoon set
  • kitchen scissors
  • wine stoppers
  • bag clips
  • cherry pitter (Seasonal)
Find the shopping list on: Self Catering Kitchen List on Amazon.com

In addition, I can't live without:
  • Salt and Pepper grinder
  • Select spices: cinnamon, cumin, oregano
  • Select baking items: flour, sugar, table salt, packet of yeast, stock cube
  • Olive oil spray
  • PG Tips Tea
  • Tea towel
  • Few laundry cubes
  • 2-3 Lock and Lock boxes (pack some of the above items in them)
  • 5-10 Ziploc bags, assorted sizes (snack to large)
  • Foldable shopping bags

You may think this is excessive, but the top items I keep together in a box which comes out of storage when we go on a trip. The other items actually cut down on things I need to purchase at the grocery store when we are away.

This brings me to one of my favourite Christmas presents this year. It is a Joseph Joseph 5-in-1 Utensil. I am most definitely adding it to my kit. If you like to bring a few things along on holiday with you, I suggest you get one of these handy little multi-taskers too.

Joseph Joseph 5-in-1 utensil

What do you slip in your suitcase when you go on a self-catering holiday?


2 comments:

  1. That reads like our camping kitchen kit. Every year I swear that I am going to take something out, but can't bear to before we leave. Of course, all of our friends have a duplicate kit so when you can't find the can opener, three people hand one to you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knives are really my absolute must have! There is nothing worse than going to a cottage where the knife won't even cut through a piece of soft fruit! My friends I travel with all think I am a bit crazy, but then use everything in my kit.

      Delete